Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Day 24 Addendum - The Whole Story

OK, on Facebook and this blog I have been vague about something going on in my life, and a mystery meeting in Chicago.  Here's the whole story.

A few months ago, the Branch Chief job in my old office in Chicago was opened as a result of some shifting in positions that happened (the old Branch Chief was removed from his supervisory duties).  I inquired about the job and talked at great lengths with the Division Director there (who is the Branch Chief's boss) about the opportunity and when it was advertised, I applied.  I interviewed 2 Fridays ago (Jan 13 - Friday the 13th, should have been a sign).  And have been waiting for an answer since then.  I felt really good about the interview, and the Division Director seemed really happy at the end of it, so I thought I had a good chance.  Unfortunately, on the panel of 3 that interviewed me, I couldn't read the other two panelists very well, so I wasn't sure where I stood with them.  But, I'm not often that confidant coming out of an interview, so I really believed things were going to work out.

The idea of going back to Chicago was not something we were looking for when this opportunity came up, but the more we thought about it and as the reality of the opportunity sank in, we got really excited about going back.  Being closer to our families would be great.  Reuniting with so many friends would be great.  We've been talking about needing to move or redo our house a bit to have enough space for our wild boys, so this seemed like perfect timing.

I've been getting some signs, such as how long it was taking to hear anything, that things were not looking good.  I got the call today that I did not get selected.  It is very disappointing, and frustrating because I had been so confidant.  But what I've been able to gather from some people outside of the process is that I didn't have enough staff management experience.  And until someone gives me the chance to manage staff, that isn't going to change.  So, I'm going thru all the emotions you would expect, and trying to get to acceptance.  But I need to wallow for a night.  I'm blogging on my couch in the comfiest clothes I have - Strawberry Shortcake pajama pants and a green Gap circa 1995 hooded sweatshirt (for my college roommates: the Rocky Sweatshirt).  We are watching 40-Year-Old Virgin and I am going to go get me some chocolate.  Tomorrow I will move on and figure out what I want to do with my life, tonight I wallow.

So usually when I am in this state of mind, I eat.  A lot.  Then eat more.  So I'm trying to limit my chocoholism tonight with just a little pudding snack.  But there may be some truffles in my future too.  Weightwatchers and crappy news are not really partners.  Chocolate and crappy news - best friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment